There are tons of ways to contribute to your community and make a difference. Why not try one of the following?
1. Donate your old clothes to Goodwill or the Salvation Army. You can also donate to homeless shelters or better yet volunteer to help them sort through donations.
2. Donate nonperishable food or money to your food back. Or go and volunteer for the food bank.
3. Shelters, fire departments, foster parent organizations and hospitals sometimes welcome new or slightly used toys and stuffed animals. Check with the organizations first to determine their needs
4. During the holidays, see if local retail stores have lay-away plans that permit customers to pay for purchases over several weeks, and then pay someone’s balance off.
5. Volunteer to entertain people at nursing homes or to go and read to the elderly.
6. Volunteer for domestic violence shelters. These women and children need your help.
7. Volunteer to tutor underprivileged kids who can’t afford tutors.
8. Volunteer to read to children at the library.
9. If you play an instrument, volunteer your talents to teach those who are less fortunate for free.
10. Volunteer for Habitat for Humanity or another organization that builds homes for people.
11. Volunteer at a soup kitchen or donate money so that the homeless can get fed.
There are a ton of things you can do if you want to be of service to your community. You just need to get creative and find the ideal thing for you. There are also tons of resources online to help you find good volunteering opportunities. You want to be an active and supportive member of your community!